How to take care of your jewelry (or your treasures)
Are some of your sterling silver jewelry dull or stained? Maybe you are wondering how to clean your gold plated jewelry? All these questions (and many more) are totally natural when it comes to maintaining and caring for your jewelry collection. Even if all your pieces are made with high quality materials, they need special attention so that they resist the passage of time, and it is important to know all the tips to properly clean, store and preserve your earrings, rings, necklaces and bracelets.
An important aspect before cleaning any of your pieces is to know the materials, so depending on this you will use certain products or processes. If you wish to go deep dive into this matter, we invite you to explore the “inside” section of this Magazine! Returning to what concerns us in this article, let's discover the tips that will help you retain the shine and maintain the beauty of all your silver jewelry:
- Store your jewelry separately from any other item. Wrap your silver designs in fabrics like calico or cotton. Avoid fabrics such as linen, wool or georgette, better known as crepe.
- Keep your silver or gold plated jewelry out of the sun or heat.
- Preserve your jewelry out of contact with water or sweat.
- Avoid exposing jewelry to chemicals such as hair products, cosmetics, or perfumes or colognes. That’s why it is important to try that the last step when you get dressed is to put on your jewelry. Likewise, we kindly advise that your jewelry is the first thing you take off when you undress.
- Clean the silver with a soft cloth. At PDPAOLA, each piece of jewelry purchased includes a polishing and cleaning cloth to keep your necklaces, earrings, bracelets and rings as the first day. Rub the piece gently with the cloth and then rinse it with warm water after the process. Try to use a small amount of water and dry it well afterwards, as leaving it wet can deteriorate its condition.
- To clean jewelry with a gold finish, the process is similar, but in this case you only need to use a soft brush to shine it. Pay special attention that the brush is very fine and soft, since scratching it is easier than in the pieces without plating.
- It is important that the silver and gold pieces are cleaned after exercising or going to the beach.
- Semi-precious stones also need special treatment. To clean them, you only need to use a soft brush and water diluted with soap to remove the dirt from each piece.
So far, the basics to care for your jewelry at home and keep it perfect for the future!
And remember: the best mantra to care for your silver jewelry is always common sense.